Most Active Stories
- Austin Now the 11th Largest City in the U.S., Up from 13th Largest
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- KUT News Presents 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- The Mayor's 'Office:' Leffingwell Welcomes Athlead to Austin
KUT News Staff
SXSW 2013: Several Films to Premiere in Austin
It's SXSW season, folks.
The South by Southwest Film Conference and Festival has announced part of the line up of films to premiere at the 20th edition of the festival.
The film festival will open with the world premiere of the Steve Carell comedy, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. Carell, as Burt Wonderstone, partners with Steve Buscemi, to play superstar Las Vegas magicians whose careers face jeopardy when rival street-magician, Jim Carrey, begins outperforming the duo. Festival goers can catch the film one week before the theatrical release, March 15.
Other world premieres include:
- Downloaded, the in-depth Napster documentary by Alex Winter (that's Bill of Bill & Ted's)
- Good Ol' Freda, the story of The Beatles' loyal and enduring secretary, Freda Kelly
- Everyone's Going to Die, the first feature from UK directing collective Jones
- Drinking Buddies, a comedy featuring Olivia Wilde and Anna Kendrick that explores the line between "friends" and "more than friends"
- The Ash-less remake of the 1981 horror classic, Evil Dead
The festival will also feature the U.S. premiere of Gummo-director Harmony Korine's relatively star-studded Spring Breakers. It features Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, and Ashley Benson being enlisted by a drug & arms-dealing James Franco to do "some dirty work" to pay for their spring break vacation.
Also included, will be panels featuring an in-depth discussion with Matthew McConaughey and an acting workshop with Arrested Development's Jeffrey Tambor.
Festival organizers have released the preliminary film, as well as the interactive schedule online.
Volunteer registration for the festival is now open. To volunteer, visit the Austin Convention Center Ballroom ABC this Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. or go to volunteer.sxsw.com for more details.