Most Active Stories
- Now That 'Ink's Dry' on HB 5, Future of Texas Education Bill Secured
- Kerbey Lane 'Eat-In' Seeks Cafe at Mueller Development (Update)
- Street Closure Map: 2013 ROT Rally and Juneteenth Parade
- Two Big Education Bills Gain Approval from Texas Legislature
- With Tube Rentals, East Austin Beach Not So 'Secret' Anymore
KUT News Staff
2012 Presidential Election
Rick Perry Speaks at The Response
An estimated 30,000 people poured into Reliant stadium for Rick Perry’s call to pray and fast for the nation, known as The Response. Actual attendance was far higher than what was previously forecast. Prayer-goers briefly encountered various protesters, most of whom advocated for the separation of church and state in regards to Perry attending the rally.
Created with flickr slideshow.
Perry addressed and prayed with the crowd for about 10 minutes with Rev. C.L. Jackson and Alice Patterson, an organizer for The Response, standing beside him. Later, between “rapid fire prayers” and worship songs, Florida governor, Rick Scott, spoke via recorded video and Kansas governor, Sam Brownback, addressed and prayed with the crowd briefly. Throughout the nine-hour-long day emotions ran high as the thousands of Christians prayed for America and a third Great Awakening.