Most Active Stories
- Now That 'Ink's Dry' on HB 5, Future of Texas Education Bill Secured
- Kerbey Lane 'Eat-In' Seeks Cafe at Mueller Development (Update)
- Street Closure Map: 2013 ROT Rally and Juneteenth Parade
- Two Big Education Bills Gain Approval from Texas Legislature
- With Tube Rentals, East Austin Beach Not So 'Secret' Anymore
KUT News Staff
Arts and Culture
The Panopticon Shot Bar: SceneTap Uses Cameras to Survey Nightlife
So this is the way we live now: a new mobile application is coming to Austin that rates bars. But instead of relying on user-submitted data like Yelp, it has a network of cameras in participating nightclubs feeding real time information on a club’s capacity and demographics.
That’s the idea behind SceneTap, launching across several Austin bars this Friday.
Founders Cole Harper and Marc Doering have partnered with several watering holes – admittedly fratty establishments like Cain and Abel’s, The Chuggin’ Monkey, The Dizzy Rooster and others – who have agreed to host the SceneTap cameras. Via “anonymous facial recognition software,” it feeds data to the app in real time: crowd size, average ages, a male-to-female ratio, and drink specials. SceneTap recently relocated to Austin from Chicago, where they have a presence in over 50 bars.
Launch parties are being held at several participating establishments this Friday. Whether you want to show up in CV Dazzle makeup is up to you.