Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Where Else Could Pres. Obama Have Eaten BBQ in Austin?
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- First Look at UT Medical School: New Hospital on Red River, Erwin Center Could Be Demolished
- Obama in Austin: 'Folks Around Here Are Doing Something Right'
KUT News Staff
Mopac/U.S. 290 Flyover Open
The South Austin exchange where the flyover opened. View Larger Map
Some commuters may have had an easier commute this morning.
The flyover connecting westbound 290 to southbound Mopac opened this morning, with workers uncovering signage and removing traffic barriers around 8 a.m.
The opening completes a $9 million dollar project.
The City of Austin’s Transportation Department says some 28,000 drivers will save hundreds of hours daily on their commutes, and money at the pump too; approximately 44,000 gallons of gasoline are estimated to be saved in the first year of the flyover’s operation.