Most Active Stories
- Now That 'Ink's Dry' on HB 5, Future of Texas Education Bill Secured
- Kerbey Lane 'Eat-In' Seeks Cafe at Mueller Development (Update)
- Street Closure Map: 2013 ROT Rally and Juneteenth Parade
- Two Big Education Bills Gain Approval from Texas Legislature
- With Tube Rentals, East Austin Beach Not So 'Secret' Anymore
KUT News Staff
Learn More About The Balcones Fault Line
Japan Continues to deal with the aftermath of the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that destroyed whole towns, left more than ten thousand dead and crippled a nuclear facility in Fukushima.
Japan sits on the notorious “ring of fire”, which follows the coastline of the Pacific Ocean. Earthquakes are almost commonplace for countries on the ring of fire, where there have been 20 temblors larger than 4.1 in 2011 alone.
Central Texas also sits on a fault line. It’s called the Balcones Fault. But there’s little to compare it to the ring of fire. At least in modern times.
Click on interactive animation link to learn more about the Balcones Fault.