Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- The Mayor's 'Office:' Leffingwell Welcomes Athlead to Austin
KUT News Staff
Here's What AISD’s Performing Arts Center Will Look Like
Four new Austin school board members will be sworn in tonight, and one of their first orders of business will be approving the maximum price of a new district-wide performing arts center in the Mueller development.
Contained in the agenda item are the final renderings showing exactly what the center would look like. You can click on the slideshow above to view the images, which were pulled from this AISD document.
The 60,000 square foot building would have a 1,200 seat main auditorium, a smaller 250 seat theater, a rehearsal space, offices and support facilities, and a dance studio. The latter was a recent addition suggested by the school board, and it would bring the maximum price to just above $30 million.
Construction of the building is expected to take about 19 months. That means if AISD breaks ground in early 2013, it would be ready for performances until 2014.