Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- The Mayor's 'Office:' Leffingwell Welcomes Athlead to Austin
KUT News Staff
Green Light For Red Line Service on Friday and Saturday Nights
Capital Metro’s Red Line will start running late into the evening on Fridays and Saturdays. Austin City Council voted 6-1 this evening on this resolution directing city staff to finalize the deal with Cap Metro. Kathie Tovo was the only council member to vote against the proposal.
The new schedule will see commuter trains run hourly from 7 p.m. until midnight on Fridays. On Saturdays, they'll run every 35 minutes 4 p.m. until midnight. That schedule takes effect Friday, March 23.
But you won't have to wait until then for weekend red line service. Cap Metro was already planning to run trains on Fridays and Saturdays during South by Southwest. That schedule is slightly different. Trains will run until midnight Fridays and from 10:30 a.m. until midnight on Saturdays.
Ridership will be evaluated monthly by Cap Metro's Operations and Planning Committee. The public transit agency will report back to city council on ridership about 90 days after the expanded hours take effect.