Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- The Mayor's 'Office:' Leffingwell Welcomes Athlead to Austin
KUT News Staff
Good Week for Texas, Exes at Pan Am Games
A pair of Texas Exes have earned medals at the XVI Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Dylan Armstrong, a two-time All American at UT in 2000 and 2001, set a games record of 21.3 meters (69.9 feet) to take gold in the shot put. Armstrong is competing for his native Canada at the games, which are seen as an important tune-up for next year's Summer Olympics in London.
Another former UT athlete took silver in the men's three-meter synchronized diving. Troy Dumais and his partner scored 411.99 points. It's Dumais's sixth medal in his Pan American Games career, tying him for second most by a diver with American Greg Louganis and Canadian Alexandre Despatie.
A current UT diver will be in action tonight and tomorrow. Senior Drew Livingston will compete in the three-meter event today and in the 10-meter event tomorrow.