Most Active Stories
- Austin Now the 11th Largest City in the U.S.; Up from 13th Largest
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
KUT News Staff
Funeral for Austin Teen To Be Streamed Online
Westlake High School student Ben Breedlove, who died of a heart attack on Christmas Day, has gained international fame on the internet through a pair of inspirational YouTube videos. Today, Breedlove's fans will be able to stream the 18-year old's funeral online through local news channel KXAN.
KXAN says Breedlove's father asked that his son's funeral be made available to fans after receiving "requests from people around the world who want to watch." The funeral will take place at 3 p.m. at Gateway Church.
Breedlove battled a heart disease, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, for most of his life. In the videos, Breedlove uses note cards to talk about instances where he cheated death and a peaceful vision he's had.
A day after Breedlove's death, rapper Kid Cudi posted a response on his Tumblr page praising Breedlove as a "real hero." Check out Kid Cudi's post here (some of the language is not appropriate for a younger audience). You can watch Breedlove's videos here.