Most Active Stories
- Now That 'Ink's Dry' on HB 5, Future of Texas Education Bill Secured
- Kerbey Lane 'Eat-In' Seeks Cafe at Mueller Development (Update)
- Street Closure Map: 2013 ROT Rally and Juneteenth Parade
- Two Big Education Bills Gain Approval from Texas Legislature
- With Tube Rentals, East Austin Beach Not So 'Secret' Anymore
KUT News Staff
Bastrop High School Football Team Plays Tonight
After surviving a 34,000 acre wildfire that destroyed more than 1,600 houses, the Bastrop High School football team will hit the gridiron tonight and square off against the San Marcos Rattlers.
Making matters even more emotional, eleven players and two of the team’s coaches lost their homes in the fire.
“It has been a very difficult week off for this community and our team,” Bastrop head coach Gerald Perry said in a post on the team’s website. “Through the adversity we have faced, we will rise up and be stronger.”
The Bastrop Advertiser has a breakdown of the game, and says,”if Bastrop’s offense can come together, this game is Bastrop’s to lose.”
Here's a video from the Bastrop Bears' website that depicts the 2011 team being introduced to 100 years of Bastrop high school football history.