Most Active Stories
- First Look at UT Medical School: New Hospital on Red River, Erwin Center Could Be Demolished
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Where Else Could Pres. Obama Have Eaten BBQ in Austin?
- A Permanent Farmers Market, and 5 Other Ways Austin Can Become A Foodie Capital
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
KUT News Staff
Anchors Aweigh: New Waller Boathouse Opens
The city’s nascent plans for re-envisioning Waller Creek took another step forward today, in the form of a new, $3.4 million boathouse on the north side of Lady Bird Lake.
In March of this year, city officials authorized Austin Rowing Club to operate the facility. Boat storage and office areas of the new boathouse will be reserved for the ARC, but according to KXAN , “builders say it is designed to be accessible to the public, with a scenic observation deck, vending area, and public restroom.”
The tunnel project broke ground in August 2011, and is expected to take three years to complete. The tunnel is designed to run west of Interstate 35 between Fourth and Fifth Streets, and grant Waller Creek with a reliable source of water to prevent unpredictable flooding in the area. The project will also remove 48 acres from the 100-year floodplain, allowing development and a riverwalk. Four teams are vying for the design job in a contest that will conclude this October.