Most Active Stories
- 'Hate Map' Collects, Charts Texas' Racist, Homophobic Tweets
- Austin: Second Fastest Growing City for Suburban Poverty
- Last Seen, Moving Slowly, on the UT Campus: a Robotic Couch
- This Week on KUT News – 'Under One Roof: Affordable Housing 101'
- Transportation Group Seeks Input on Changes to CAMPO 2035 Plan
KUT News Staff
8.9 Magnitude Earthquake, Major Tsunami Hit Japan
Central Texans are waking up Friday morning to the news about Japan’s major earthquake and tsunami. The entire U.S. West Coast is under a tsunami warning. Hawaii has ordered evacuations of coastal areas. As of 6 a.m. Austin Bergstrom International Airport’s website was not showing any flight cancelations to the West Coast. From the Associated Press:
A powerful tsunami spawned by the largest earthquake in Japan's recorded history slammed the eastern coast Friday, sweeping away boats, cars, homes and people as widespread fires burned out of control. Tsunami warnings blanketed the entire Pacific, as far away as South America, Canada, Alaska and the entire U.S. West Coast.
If you know anybody directly impacted by the earthquake and tsunami email email@example.com.